GMS Community Association (GMSCA)
All GMS parents/guardians, extended family members, teachers and staff are considered members of the GMS Community Association (GMSCA), and are invited to participate in the association’s activities. Opportunities for involvement abound! Unlike many public and private schools, membership in the GMSCA is automatic and free! We don’t ask for or require dues. Our activities are funded primarily through the income received from the School’s fall and spring Scholastic Book Fairs. We also raise funds through initiatives like Harris Teeter’s Together in Education program, General Mills’ Box Tops for Education, and AmazonSmile.
The work of the GMSCA is guided collaboratively by a Steering Committee that meets monthly (or more often as needed) and includes coordinators of the various GMSCA events and initiatives, room parent representatives from each division (including toddler, primary, lower elementary, upper elementary and junior high) and members of the GMS staff.
The Steering Committee is facilitated by a Lead Coordinator(s) who holds the global view of all GMSCA activities to promote interdependence and cohesiveness in the work of individual teams toward the vision of the GMSCA.
The most visible way you will see the GMSCA in action is through GMSCA-sponsored events, teacher appreciation initiatives, and community volunteering:
- Events and Family Outreach- The largest event we plan every year is the Fall Festival, a family-centered Sunday afternoon featuring dozens of activities for our entire student population. We also organize the School’s International Fair, a celebration our community’s cultural diversity through music, food, art, and fun. We also host coffee socials on campus, community gatherings at local businesses, and family “meet and greet” occasions throughout the year and in the summer.
- Teacher Support and Appreciation – The GMSCA supports designated room parents who work directly with your teachers and help coordinate other parent volunteers needed to plan and execute many of the fun and educational activities our students love. Throughout the year, we also provide organized opportunities through which families can express appreciation for our professional educators.
- Community Volunteering – Our School partners with BackPack Beginnings to help fulfill this local nonprofit’s mission: to deliver child-centric services to feed, comfort and clothe children in need. In addition to coordinating food drives, we also sponsor Peeler Open Elementary. Parent volunteers make weekly deliveries to Peeler students who need child-friendly, nutritious food to fill the weekend food gap.
Learn MoreTo learn more about how to become involved in the GMSCA, contact the 2019-20 Lead Coordinator, Jennifer Boozer, by sending an email to email@example.com
Current GMS families are also encouraged to join the private Facebook group entitled “GMSCA” to get extra info on many different on and off campus events.
Mission Statement of the GMSCAThe GMS Community Association is a dynamic, inclusive organization that strives to enrich the school experience for all. We foster a vibrant school community, and serve to bridge and connect home and school while supporting the mission and goals of GMS.
The GMS Community Association (GMSCA):
- Collaborates to respond to community needs,
- Communicates openly and regularly,
- Facilitates opportunities for cultural and social gatherings,
- Supports volunteerism,
- And cultivates an outreach and support network for GMS families.