Upper Elementary Assistant Teacher
Photo taken in August 2019.
We seek a flexible, joyful, hard-working, and compassionate educator to join our fourth-through-sixth-grade Upper Elementary team in a newly created Assistant Teacher position. We seek someone who shares our belief that students are filled with potential, ability, and capability; who understands that this age craves independence but still needs guidance; who knows students need adults who listen to them and believe in them; who is willing to gracefully roll up their sleeves and do whatever is needed to help the students and the team.
Greensboro Montessori School is a 46-year-old, toddler-through-junior-high, American Montessori Society (AMS) accredited, 250-student school. Our three full-time, lead Upper Elementary faculty each have their own advisory of 13 to18 students to whom they teach core math and language lessons during the morning work cycle; in the afternoon work cycle they each teach various topics to small groups, including science, social studies, and wellness topics. Each of the three is AMS certified and has years of Montessori teaching experience.
The Assistant Teacher will be responsible for:
- Working most closely with one of the three lead teachers based in our larger classroom, but also supporting to a lesser degree the other two lead teachers.
- Helping to manage classroom dynamics within their advisory room.
- Working one-on-one or with small groups of students to guide them during their independent work times on either academic or social-emotional needs.
- Covering various duties, such as car line duties, lunch or recess duties, or bringing students to other spaces on campus, or leading classroom activities when the lead teacher is unavailable.
- Joining weekly team or all-faculty meetings on Wednesdays.
- Participating in all-faculty work days, professional learning experiences, and parent engagement times such as conferences or curriculum nights.
- Promoting and modeling core Montessori values of independent learning, inclusivity, and commitment to excellence.
- Being willing to learn more about Montessori curriculum and practices.
- Having an undergraduate degree (preferably in an education-related field) and previous experience working with children.
- (Our new Assistant Teacher will not necessarily be responsible for delivering specific academic lessons, but depending on their experience and interest, that could be something that is considered.)
Depending on the applicant, the position does have the potential to grow into a more significant teaching or lead teacher role at our School in future years. Depending on the applicant, future Montessori education training could be discussed. This position is 10 months long and will start in August of 2021. If you think you have what we’re looking for, we would love to hear from you. Please email a cover letter and résumé to our human resources consultant, Heather Goggin, at [email protected].
Greensboro Montessori School does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, age, national origin, marital status, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status with respect to recruitment, hiring, compensation, terms, conditions or privileges of employment.