Director of Human Resources
Full-Time Position beginning January 3, 2022
As a thriving Montessori school serving students from toddler through ninth grade, our faculty and staff’s mission is to both “nurture and challenge” our 250 students – knowing when to push, when to support, and when to watch. We seek to hire a director of human resources who similarly wants to both “nurture and challenge” our 60+ employees – to help ensure their success and to “have their backs” so they can ensure our students’ success. We seek someone who has the right blend of (1) a meticulous attention to detail, including human resource regulation and compliance as well as (2) a passionate commitment to our core school value of grace and courtesy – someone who takes pride in helping and serving others.
Greensboro Montessori School is a 45-year-old independent school located in Greensboro, North Carolina. We are accredited by the American Montessori Society, the Southern Association of Independent Schools and Cognia (formerly AdvancEd). With a fantastic group of 60+ faculty and staff, supportive and engaged families, a clear long-range plan, a 37-acre satellite campus, a $4.1M operating budget with a strong financial portfolio, a fantastic board of trustees, and a clear COVID-19 strategy, our school is thriving. (Yes, a bit more tired and a bit more strained than normal due to the pandemic, but still thriving.)
We offer a strong workplace culture composed of caring people who are passionate about their work and our School. The director of human resources is part of the administration team, all of whom are willing to pitch in to help when and wherever needed, all in the support of our 250 students. The director of human resources works closely with and reports to the director of finance and has a direct reporting line to the head of school. The director of human resources’ essential job functions include:
- Employment lifecycle management (35%): assists in recruitment, hiring process (all hiring decisions made by head of school), and new employee onboarding; supports management of employee handbooks; offers ongoing and regular employee support; processes workplace complaints; maintains personnel files; and administers employee separation processes.
- Leave management (20%): administers employee paid time off and attendance records; coordinates substitute teachers, including occasionally stepping into classrooms when substitute teachers are not available.
- Benefits administration (15%): manages benefits program and open enrollment; distributes benefit materials; coordinates COBRA process; and provides reports to director of finance for allocation and billing charges.
- Payroll administration (10%): processes semi-monthly payroll; reviews and prepares relevant tax reports; and maintains payroll records.
- Compliance (10%): maintains up-to-date knowledge of federal and state employment laws; ensures procedures are in compliance; and administers the commercial driver’s license (CDL) bus driving program (new drivers, licensing, drug-testing).
- Financial and school support (10%): processes deposits; completes other tasks needed within the finance office, requested by the head of school, or needed by the administration team.
Our School is a great place to be for students and adults, alike. If you are a committed and passionate human resources professional who also has a love for a school environment, we want to meet you. This position ideally starts January 3, 2022. If you are interested in joining our team, please email a cover letter and résumé to our human resources consultant, Heather Goggin, at [email protected].
Greensboro Montessori School does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, age, national origin, marital status, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status with respect to recruitment, hiring, compensation, terms, conditions or privileges of employment.