At Greensboro Montessori School, we believe all our students are filled with potential, ability, and capability. As a Montessori school, we deeply respect the child, as we follow and guide them in their development. We are a 45-year-old, toddler through junior high, American Montessori Society accredited, 232-student school.
Our Upper Elementary teaching team is composed of three full-time faculty members. They pride themselves on working hard, on loving and empowering our students, and in helping students build the foundation for future success at our School and throughout their lives. Through both nurture and challenge, they focus on students’ personal and academic development. We seek a full-time teacher to join our Upper Elementary division, which includes 40 students and is the Montessori three-year cycle of fourth, fifth, and sixth grades (ages 9 through 12).
Most important to us is that our new teammate…
- Is mission aligned, whether with Montessori training and experience or at least similar experience and training in a similar child-centered, constructivist, and experiential pedagogy.
- Is a team player who flexibly shares the many spaces, tasks, and responsibilities of teaching.
- Is comfortable teaching multiple disciplines and has a specialty teaching writing and reading skills.
- Uses respectful language and a positive guidance approach with students.
- Can give students space to safely make and learn from their mistakes.
- Has college training, degrees, and professional experience in education and has previously worked in elementary or middle school settings.
- Is a very strong communicator, in both written and verbal forms.
- Knows important learning happens outside the classroom, including on overnight trips, expeditions to the School’s wooded 37-acre satellite campus, through student performing arts productions, playing sports, or working with students after-school when needed.
- Will find daily joy in their work.
Some of our most important values for our teachers include:
- We believe in our students and that they deserve opportunities to contribute to the classroom in meaningful, real-life ways.
- We believe parent partnership and education are critical components of our work, ones that enhances our students’ success both in and out of our classrooms.
- We believe children learn more from how we treat them, each other, and the environment than from what we tell them.
This position is 10-months long and will start in August of 2019. Compensation will be commensurate with experience. If not already Montessori trained, we will provide Montessori training and certification through intensive Montessori summer training classes. If our values inspire you, and if you think you have what we’re looking for, we would like to hear from you. Please email a cover letter and résumé to Heather Goggin, our director of human resources.
Greensboro Montessori School does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, age, national origin, marital status, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status with respect to recruitment, hiring, compensation, terms, conditions or privileges of employment.